Re: [nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Fri Jan 23 14:14:12 1998

> Now, if you want to *CLAIM* DS1 speeds but actually deliver something that
> looks more like an ISDN connection, then its possible.

T1 into a local provider is still T1, though.  The main bandwidth consumers
hereabouts are HTTP, NNTP, and DNS.  All of these are "cacheable" at the
local provider, and having T1 access to those data repositories is still
quite useful.  Not all traffic has to go to the other side of the planet.

>                                                         But where I come
> from advertising something you can't deliver is commonly known as fraud.

We just call that "marketing" around here.  But your point is valid: this
low-cost last-mile service should be described in terms of access to the
ISP's local resources (which will therefore have to grow a lot from now).
Hell, maybe there's something in this transparent caching idea after all?

Nobody in their right mind would sell T1 to every customer and do 1000:1
overcommit of their transit links without some kind of bandwidth shaping.
Since that shaping is part of the engineering plan, the marketroids will
have to find some way to come clean about it in the advertising glossies.