Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Fri Jan 23 12:14:04 1998

At 03:19 AM 1/23/98 -0000, you wrote:
>>Today there was an article in the sci-tech section of cnn.com mentioning
>>that Microsoft was teaming up with Intel and Compaq to offer xDSL service
>>to the homes for a very low price.  They claim to be able to provide
>>Internet access "30 times faster" than regular modems.
>
>The announcement also said that four of the five baby Bells (all but
>BA) are also in on the deal so they'll all use common xDSL standards,
>something that's been a problem in the past.
>
>But the important thing they did not say (and which may be of some
>interest to NANOG) was what is supposed to happen to the packets once
>they whiz down the DSL wire from the consumer to the phone company
>central office, since DSL data, unlike ISDN or regular dialup
>connections, doesn't go through the phone switch.  Whoever handles
>that IP traffic needs a router or something similar next to the phone
>switch to connect to those DSL pairs.  Do the Bells plan to hand all
>the traffic to their oh-so-independent ISP subsidiaries?  Will it be

http://techweb.cmp.com/eet/news/97/941news/central.html and yes
you've got to have colo at the CO. I'm not sure how they're
going to hand off. I would think it would make sense for
CLEC's to do the aggregation of DSL subscription and point
it back to the customer i.e. the ISP pulls a circuit into
our CO, and we split the traffic after carrying it back from
the CO for the ISP.

Disclaimer: I'm thinking out loud. We're about to start DSL
trials and I'm only certain of the colo situation.

Regards,

--
Martin Hannigan                       [email protected]
Director of Data Networks             V:617.500.0108