Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Jan 23 10:43:32 1998

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 02:23:19AM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:
> > UUNET doesn't own dedicated single-circuit copper to people's houses.
>
> If xDSL can only run about 18kft end-to-end, to service a wide metro area
> like Washington, D.C. one would either have to have a POP within every 6
> mile radius (fed by conventional circuits) or backhaul the data (by
> conventional circuit) to their POP.
>
> Is this correct, if not, what am I missing?

That's correct.  DSL is a baseband technology, running over copper.
Read: layer 1.  The only practical place to put DSL headends right now
is in RBOC CO's.  No one else has the point to point copper -- it's not
a multiplexed layer 1 service like cablemodems.

Oh, and sorry, backhauling isn't an issue.  The DSL modem at the
opposite end of the line from the customer _has to physically be
there_.  Once you grab the signal and turn it into some other layer 1
format, you can mux it and back haul it, but that doesn't solve the
problem at hand.

Cheers,
-- j
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,