Re: Reporting Little Blue Men

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Fri Jan 23 09:34:23 1998

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 11:33:44PM -0500, Paul Ferguson wrote:
> At 07:09 PM 1/22/98 -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>

> >Yes, it could be, but let's remember; isn't the smurf attack the one
> >that _depends_ on a forged _source_ IP address in order to "work"?
> >

> And, as an aside, the draft-ferguson-ingress-filtering-03.txt draft
> has been advanced by the IESG to published as an Informational RFC.
>
> Please go beat people over the head with it, when it is published.
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> - paul

We already do source filtering for the majority of our connection customers;
the exceptions are those on full DS1s who have announcement capability
(even if they're not using it).

This *includes*, by the way, our dial customers.....  Its not impossible,
but does require a bit of work.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service