Re: Reporting Little Blue Men

  • From: Taner Halicioglu
  • Date: Wed Jan 21 17:40:05 1998

On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 04:41:17PM -0500, Dean Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> >If my server checks message headers to determine validity before
> >transferring to a spool file, I am not intercepting, I am determining
>
> Nope.  Thats service observing.  Illegal.

Actually, most mail filters will not look at the actual DATA portion of the
message - rather, the MAIL FROM: and RCPT TO: commands (and the connecting
host's IP address ot hostname).

Thus, the actual DATA (content) of the message is not looked at before
determining whether or not to discard the message.

If you consider that illegal, then ANY filtering of ANY sort is illegal,
since I'd have to look at a packet's IP address or protocol type in order to
filter XXX or YYY.

	-Taner