Re: Reporting Little Blue Men

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Jan 21 16:40:25 1998

At 03:54 PM 1/21/98 -0500, Dennis Simpson wrote:
>> From: Dean Anderson <[email protected]>
>>
>> But when you take the step from advocacy to actions you are violating the
>> law in almost every case.  You can advocate anything, but you can't go
>> tearing down buildings, or in this case, intercepting communications.

>I cannot block mail espousing causes I disagree with, but I have no
>obligation to deliver them either. Find yourself another path to my
>client; I won't do anything to permit or prevent it. I am not blocking you.
>I am also not assisting you. That is neither illegal nor immoral.

I agree with almost everything you said, but there is one point I question.
 It is my understanding that I have an absolute right to block mail
espousing causes I disagree with on my private property (e.g. my mail
server).  I am not the government, you have no "First Amendment" rights
with me.  Of course, IANAL, so I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I also agree that reading the CONTENT of users' e-mail is
immoral and reprehensible, so I don't know how I would block "causes" I
despise.  And whether it is illegal or not, it is probably actionable in
civil court, so it's not a good idea no matter what.  (Seems you can sue
anyone for anything in the US.)

>SPAM yourself silly.

That's cute.  Can I use it? ;)

>dennis

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations                    fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
         "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."