Re: Open Standards vs IOPS etc

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Jan 18 07:08:11 1998

There are currently several different organizations working on various
measurement and performance 'standards' for the Internet and IP-related
networks.

IETF has created a couple of working groups working on benchmarking
and metrics.

IOPS says they plan to be a point of contact for developing various
industry-wide technical procedures.

ATIS/T1 (an ANSI standards organization) is developing two vital Internet
performance standards and three technical reports.

ANX, The Automotive Network Exchange, has documented several requirements
including metrics for service quality.

Bellcore has some Internet related work in their new GR standards.

And, of course while it doesn't develop anything formal, NANOG has
occasional presentations from various other industry organizations.

Most of the above have said in their press releases they are working
with other standards bodies, but it isn't very clear how much inter-
organizational communications actual occurs.

And I suspect there are a few more I don't know about.  It would be
nice if this work could be consolidated into one place.  I, for one,
don't have the time or the money to even attempt active involvement
in half these groups.