Re: UDP port 137 Question

  • From: Paul Thornton
  • Date: Wed Jan 07 09:36:45 1998

I noticed similar port 137 hits a while back, and after a bit of
investigating discovered that every time a colleague visited a web site
(using Netscape, incidentally) the server sent a port 137 request back to
the client PC.

Initially I thought this was a "helpful" MS extension in their server, but
have since seen port 137 hits from their nameservers as well.  This probably
points to some interesting name lookups going on at there end, which results
in a NetBIOS name lookup being sent back.  Somewhere I have the address of
the server in question - I'll dig it out if there is interest.  If nothing
else, their hit count will go up ;-)

Paul

--
Paul Thornton, Network Engineer, London Internet Exchange Ltd.
Tel: 07000 783797   Mobile: +44 467 372205