Re: Denial of Service Attacks disguised as Spam...

  • From: gary flynn
  • Date: Mon Jan 05 12:35:06 1998

> From: Dean Anderson <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Denial of Service Attacks disguised as Spam...
>
> >many respects, he is forging his identity and I cannot imagine that
> >forgery is legal.
>
> The ability to send anonymous email will probably remain protected.  Also,
> the legal beagles I know tell me it is perfectly legal to use an alias as
> long as it is not done for fraudulent purposes.

Ah, but sooner or later, we're going to have fairly universal certificate
based authentication of some type ( IPSEC and/or application layer ).
Then it will be a simple manner of refusing unauthenticated connections as
policy or desires dictate. Someone may be able to send anonymous mail but
nobody will have to read it :)

The low level stuff will provide the ability to reliably trace packet
level attacks and perhaps make decisions at the router level. The
higher level stuff will provide the ability to implement authorization
rules at the application or server level.

You want to deliver mail to my mail server, you better tell me who you
are. You want to send packets through my router, you best be authenticated
in some way.

Gary Flynn
Network Analyst
James Madison University