Re: Deciding whose network block is whose?

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Wed Dec 31 11:01:18 1997

Priori networks requires any customer who wants to announce a route to us
via BGP, or wants us to announce a route via BGP for them to have the
proper contact information available via rwhois at either the internic
(ARIN now I suppose), RIPE, or APNIC.  We filter all incoming routing
announcements from customers by prefix.  We have not yet had a problem
where someone has called and said we were announcing their block, so I
cannot tell you for certain what the resolution time for such an issue
would be.

At 09:17 AM 12/29/97 -0600, Sean Donelan wrote:
>When some random person decides to announce a subnet, what do providers
>accept as proof the person has authority to announce that subnet to the
>global Internet?  Or the other side, when some random person calls up
>complaining that someone else is announcing a subnet without authorization
>what do providers accept as proof that the announcement is invalid?
>
>For example, lets say a difficult to reach ISP on the other side of the
>planet decided to announce a subnet DRA had assigned for use by one of our
>customers.  Would major providers take my word a Hong Kong provider was
>wrong?  Would major providers accept the registration information in WHOIS
>and/or IRR the network block had been delegated to me, and to no one else.
>Would major providers accept a statement from the APNIC that the HK ISP
>had never been delegated any part of the network block?  What do you do
>when a major provider's front-line customer service personnel don't
>understand the problem, but says since the other person is a customer
>they have to believe them?  Of course, the major provider can't get a
>hold of the customer either.
>
>Do providers normally just let customers announce any network, and only
>review things after receiving complaints.  If so, how do such providers
>expect people to complain when one of their customers is causing problems.
>How many days, weeks, months is considered normal to reach a competent
>person at a major ISP that has the authority to block such a bogus
>announcement by one of their customers?  Since some (one) major provider
>has a policy of not giving trouble ticket numbers when a non-customer
>calls, how much ruckus must be caused to get their management's attention?
>
>This can cause partial network outages lasting weeks in some cases.  I
>hate the idea of needing to resort to things like filing formal criminal
>complaints because of the dumb management policy at a major provider, but
>it has been required in some other industries these providers operate
>in.  Slamming is a prohibited practice for long distance carriers, and
>the customer can more or less easily get their phone number switched back
>to their original provider.  How does a customer do the same thing when
>their IP network block gets slammed by another provider, or a customer
>of another provider?
>
>There seem to be major problems with several of the widely referred to
>network registration databases.  I see Telstra (AS1221) is once again,
>Dec 29, 1997, announcing 3.156.20.0/24.  While its possible that General
>Electric has an office in Australia, it seems an odd announcement.  Other
>than Sprint's global default for 0/1 (and then SPRINT has the nerve to
>complain when people point default at them) there is no information in
>the IRR about valid origin ASNs for Net 3/8.  Although Mr. Bono spoke
>up about some of GE's activities, other than James C. Shearer, who would
> [...]

Justin W. Newton                        voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Network Architect                  fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C   http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."