Attack of the Killer Spam

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Tue Dec 30 20:04:46 1997

NANOG folk:

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed an influx of SPAM(tm) transmitted by
UUNet dynamic IP dial-up users (read: MSN, Earthlink, GTE, etc.) and relayed
using Earthlink SMTP relays.  Am I turning senile prematurely, or has anyone
else noticed this influx?

Also, how easy would it be for Earthlink and other nationwide "ISP's" (or
more accurately, UU/PSI resellers) to do the following?  This would not stop
SPAM(tm) dead in its tracks, but I figure it would make it easier to hold
spammers accountable at least... unless, of course, they use throw-away
accounts, in which case there is not much that can be done...

- institute anti-spam rules on their SMTP relays, i.e. only relay mail
reporting to be from earthlink.net and the virtual domains they host

- only allow SMTP relaying from IP's assigned to *their customers*
dynamically (cross-reference Radius logs?)

Constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated!  Together, we CAN make a
difference.

Regards,
Adam