Re: Automatic filtering - CISCO, you should think about this...

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Sun Dec 28 14:23:43 1997

Karl Denninger writes...

> How about an interface keyword such as "auto-inbound-filter", which does
> this:
>
> 	At STARTUP and when the LOCAL route table changes (ie: "ip route
> 	xxx..." statements) the system looks at the interfaces, and the
> 	local static routes, and builds an accept list for that interface.
> 	The list is stored in a "reserved" set of system access lists.
>
> 	Add a parmaeter which can be turned on (ie: log) which would add
> 	"log" to the end of the filter lists, so that anyone TRYING to smurf
> 	will get logged
>
> This would totally automate the process of inbound filtering to prevent or
> severely limit smurf attacks.
>
> Since filters which are based only on the source address are relatively
> cheap for the router to process, this would likely not seriously burden
> anyone in their direct connections.
>
> I'd love to see something like this, and it would reduce the complaint that
> its "too hard to manage" such things.

How about having "no-auto-inbound-filter" instead, making the default in all
new versions of IOS be to run this essential level of protection, providing
a means to turn it off only for those who know they need to turn it off.

--
Phil Howard | [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
  phil      | [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]