Re: Impact of paying for address space

  • From: Philip J. Nesser II
  • Date: Tue Dec 23 20:46:57 1997
  • Phone: (206)481-4303
  • Us-nail: 13501 100th Ave NE, Suite 5202, Kirkland, WA 98034

Phil Howard supposedly said:

> With there being a fee structure coming into place for obtaining address
> space, businesses are going to end up being more conservative with their
> space requests.  Maybe.  I suspect many will.  If you expect to assign
> a /17 worth of space over the next year, why ask for all /17 of it now.
> Why not get a /19 each quarter as needed.  With the fee structure in
> place, there would be less panic about space becoming too scarce.
>
> Now if this does take place, and I believe it will although I am not sure
> to what scale, that will mean that each business and ISP will have more
> smaller prefixes.  That means more BGP announcements and larger tables and
> an impact on routers.
>
> Thoughts?

This assumes that ARIN won't be giving you /19 out of a reserved /17 (or
/16) and then giving you the other half of the /18, then the other half of
the /17, etc, so all you need to do is change your prefix length not the
number of announcements.

Also your plan doesn't work so well, since ARIN will be charging you a
member ship fee based on your expected *yearly* allocation.

--->  Phil