RE: Broadcast pings.

  • From: Al Roethlisberger
  • Date: Mon Dec 22 16:50:10 1997

At 04:04 PM 12/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Yeah that was my initial thought, but we've been hit now from multiple
>nameservers (and constantly machines that are named "ns" or appear in a
>'nic record).  I just found it odd that we're only getting hit from
>machines matching this pattern.  I guess it was random, but you never
>know :-)

hmm, don't know.  But it may be that a casual hacker that has recently
jumped on the smurf bandwagon may be using ns addresses as they are so
readily available.

I have often been surprised at the lack of real knowledge some of the
perpetrators have had in some of these cases.  They just get the code, plug
in some easy data(like their ISPs ns) and away they go.  Fortunately for us,
many of these folks don't know how to choose large enough networks to ping,
so we often come out OK.

Or maybe 'someone' just discovered nslookup =) and decided to use that data.

Who knows though.... it is certainly hard to tell sometimes.

al