Re: Cisco Vip Cards.

  • From: Per Gregers Bilse
  • Date: Fri Dec 12 16:47:46 1997

On Dec 30, 12:25, "Robert Davila" <[email protected]> wrote:
   ^^^^^^
Blasting in from the future.

>     I'm in the process of determining weather or not to purchase several
> VIP cards and modules for a few 7513's I have at remote locations

Since you say "several", there's one amusing (or not, as the case may
be) gotcha, which is that interface cards are reset and initialized
sequentially.  For normal cards this is no big deal, but for VIPs the
process is considerably more involved and time-consuming -- the VIP is
a stand-alone system with it's own special IOS image, and it takes 2-3
minutes to boot.  Hence, expect a 7513 fully loaded with VIPs to spend
half an hour booting before it starts doing anything useful.  Cisco is
apparently working on parallel booting, but AFAIK it isn't there yet.

--
------ ___                        --- Per G. Bilse, Director Network Eng & Ops
----- /     /  /   __   ___  _/_ ---- EUnet Communications Services B.V.