Re: caching at windmills (i mean exchange points)

  • From: Ton Verschuren
  • Date: Fri Dec 05 08:31:56 1997
  • Address: Radboudburcht, P.O. Box 19035, 3501 DA Utrecht, NL
  • Phone: +31 302 305 305
  • Telefax: +31 302 305 329

==> From: Randy Bush

| > I read your proposal an have a question. I assume that your MAE-west
| > cache will act as a parent for the MW ISP's (otherwise, there's no data
| > in the cache). That means that all outbound traffic from MW is routed
| > through your cache, isn't it? That also means that e.g. all
| > transatlantic traffic will flow through your lines. Or am I missing
| > something?
|
| You are not differentiating between an proxy cache and an interceptor
| cache.  The NLANR cache is a proxy cache.  Clients/peers/children must
| consciously point at it.

I know. Still, for a cache to fill it has to fetch docs and thus act as
a parent. If the NLANR cache acts as a parent for all MW connected
ISP's than *all* misses from those ISP's get routed through the NLANR
cache and for the transatlantic traffic the lines of NLANR's ISP will
fill up. No?

Ton.