Re: caching at windmills (i mean exchange points)

  • From: Alan Barrett
  • Date: Fri Dec 05 08:31:54 1997

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Ton Verschuren wrote:
> If the NLANR cache acts as a parent for all MW connected
> ISP's than *all* misses from those ISP's get routed through the NLANR
> cache and for the transatlantic traffic the lines of NLANR's ISP will
> fill up. No?

The part I think you missed is that the NLANR cache at MAE West will not
have an ISP in the usual sense, and will not have a default route.
Instead, it will have routes to whatever places the ISP's who participate
in the cache experiment choose to give it.  In a sense, all the providers
who participate in the experiment will jointly act like "NLANR's ISP", and
will jointly carry the traffic.

--apb (Alan Barrett)