Re: Cisco config generator

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Fri Nov 28 21:13:01 1997

> > Take a look at Network Configurator from Netsation (www.netsation.com).
> > I is pretty interesting.

> Is this what MCI uses to construct and manage their entire IP network?

  I doubt it.

> I'm looking for a tool to do configuration management, too.  But I need
> one with the following:

  I work at a company that has done something very similar to what
  you describe.

  Two terribly clever colleagues wrote (two separate) systems to
  interpret our databases into router configuration scripts, for various
  router vendors.

> If, for example, one user is set up with a variety of access services,
> and I disable or delete that user, then it should be removed from all
> places where it is configured without me having to know.

  This is a slightly different specification; you are talking about
  deploying distributed security permissions.  This could be a subfunction
  of the configuration system.

> Yes, I do combine my network operations and server operations together
> and I want a package that allows me to fully integrate it all together
> without having to have separate packages.

  You will be hard pressed to find a ready-made off the shelf package
  to do what you want.

  <rambling opinion>

  Today's internet technology is complex.  Harder than rocket science,
  but it appears easier because we make up with BS that which is lost
  by not understanding the formulas or having granular flow statistics.

  The sum complexity of a network configuration system is a function of
  the router/switch interpreter, the routing policy, the routing protocols,
  and the databases with which one works.

  Since implementing this complexity requires adhering to standards
  or understanding your own policies and protocols (which few
  really do), it's difficult to make generic solutions work for
  networks of a given complexity.

  We worked hard with one router vendor to create such a system, but
  the exponential amount of work put in resulted in only a few useful
  widgetish interfaces.  They just didn't get it.

  This is because they don't live and breathe it; they code; they write
  MIBs; they don't fantasize about pull/push/check/click *presto* it's
  configged.  They live in their world, and rarely is the vendor's world
  the practical world of the network engineer/operator.

  A smart guy who sends out reports that embarrass people once pointed
  out to me: the largest internet networks all have radically different
  designs, and yet they all work remarkably well.

  So, until someone with enough savvy, experience, and coding skills
  attempts this task, I think it will stay proprietary and internally
  developed by, and for, each network.

  A middleware interpretation layer (ie. sendmail's configuration
  file) is needed before this generic configuration system can
  be (fairly) easily implemented.

  Tools exist (whose names escape me, but I'm sure bmanning
  or vixie will point them out) that profess to interpret
  radb configs into cisco and ascend configs, but they (in my/our
  limited experience and exploration) fail to capture the IGP
  variables or the various L2/L3 platform requirements.

  </rambling opinion>

> Writing this myself will be a big project.  Well, big for one person.

  I'd estimate 2 sufficiently clueful and experienced people could write a
  platform specific (cisco, ascend, fore, cascade, etc..) system in about
  300 man-hours total; including debugging and sparse documentation.  The
  iterations of the system for different platforms would take less time,
  but not less than one order of magnitude.

> It wouldn't be that big for a software development business that is
> banking on selling it to a lot of providers.

  Yes it would; read _The Mythical Man-Month_ by Brooks, pub. Addison-Wesley.

> But is there even a market for this?

  There certainly is; but the cost of customization may exceed the
  demand.

> One thing I note about Netsation's product is that they promote it as
> a tool to deal with "cryptic IOS commands".  IOS is _NOT_ cryptic.

  I think one could say that Netstation or Netsys are good tools
  for people who think IOS is cryptic.  (don't flame me, dear vendors,
  your tool can help mitigate detailed analysis, or help find
  idiot mistakes [which we all make]; however, last time I looked
  they didn't support IS-IS and choked when we tried to enter a smidgen
  of our routers into the network).

> Where such a product is useful is managing the huge complexity of a
> large network, and in the case of what I am looking for, all of the
> other services as well.

  For this, I think
                 you
              should