RE: Eugene Kashpureff's Defense Fund

  • From: Bob Allisat
  • Date: Wed Nov 26 10:08:15 1997

>1. Is this an organization for Domain Names for registering them
>and maintaining them , and developing global  policy ??

 CORE is just a private company
 attempting to market five domain
 names. .WEB and .ART do not belong
 to CORE because other companies
 have developed registries for these
 Top Level Domains. However CORE is
 trying in the process to independantly
 establish Global regulations over the
 namespace and this is highly unacceptable
 to most reasonable observers. They've
 as much right to register .FIRM, .STORE
 and the others as Internic has to do
 the same for .COM, .ORG and .NET and
 Alternic to act as a registry for .XXX,
 .ZOO, .WEB and so on. None of them have
 the right to govern the Internet.

>2.  If this Person has breached federal telecommunication regulations ?
>if so. then must pay for the crimes as set down in the countries law.!!!!

 Mr. Kashpureff is innocent until
 proven otherwise. And by all
 appearances the charges are all
 politically motivated and not
 very well grounded in legalities.
 No-one actually owns the domain
 names. So what the fellow did is
 not illegal in the strict sense
 of the word. And it really didn't
 inconvenience anyone except for
 those who wish to claim ownership
 over a universal resource.

>3. Defense Fund , if people want to help this person , this should not
>be connected in anyway to this organization or this may be seen around
>the world as an incorrect organization policy !!!!!!!

 I think it would be wonderful if
 CORE were to donate some of it's
 money to the Eugene Kashpureff's
 Defense Fund! I also think it would
 be great if they officially endorsed
 the Eugene Kashpureff's Defense Fund.
 Unfortunately CORE is itself trying
 to steal Internic's monopoly and
 install one of it's own. And CORE
 will in all probablility be the
 next target of protest actions.

>4. I am confused over the role of the CORE know because of this discussion
>on a issue that doesn't concern the domain registration or GLTD policy
>development.

 This whole debate is central to the
 debate. Internic holds a monopoly over
 Domain Names. No-one else can participate
 at any level. Now CORE wants to take over
 as the Monopoly. Leaving everyone else
 out in the cold. And by everyone else I
 mean individuals, small companies, non-
 profit organizatrions and most nations in
 the so-called "third" world. The price
 tag for a new domain name registry is a
 half million US dollars (US$500,000).
 Not only that CORE is a private organization
 run without any public oversight under
 Swiss law. It is, furthermore, *not*
 supported or sanctioned by any member
 State of the United Nations nor by the
 UN itself.

 CORE is a rogue DNS elephant like Internic
 was in the past. We may have no alternative
 but to stop it in any way we can. And Eugene
 points the way very clearly. Will CORE stop
 and reverse it's course? That remains to be
 seen. If not expect more of the same protest
 actions like Kashpureff's. We will have no
 other choice.

 TeleVirtually Yours,

 Bob Allisat

 Director, World TeleVirtual Network             http://www.wtv.net
 PO Box 191 St E Toronto Canada M6H 4E2                 [email protected]
 (416) 534-1999                   http://www.wtv.net/portfolio.html