Re: Advisory - tunneling of IP at exchange points.

  • From: Lyndon Levesley
  • Date: Tue Nov 25 11:31:23 1997

 NJM> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:47:22 +0000 (GMT)
 NJM> Paul Thornton <[email protected]> wrote:

 +> The LINX and several of its members have recently had to take action
 +> against an ISP that was using GRE tunneling between exchange points
 +> to appropriate the capacity of other ISPs.

 NJM> Hmm unfortuntely for us GRF owners it seems that filterd cannot deal
 NJM> with filter this. Joy! I wonder how many months for a fix!?

Neil,

 With a bit of effort, you could

a) allow valid traffic sourced from a NAP address
b) deny any other traffic with a NAP source addr

couldn't you ?

e.g.

[ inbound at ME ]

(in pseudo ACL :)

! Allow ping, trace etc. to work in and out
permit src=192.41.177.0/24 proto=(icmp, echo-request OR echo-reply OR
unreachable, ttl-exceed ... etc.)
! oh, and BGP
permit src=192.41.177.0/24 proto=(tcp, 179)
! horrible way to allow people to traceroute in from their NAP routers
permit src=192.41.177.0/24 proto=(udp, port>30000)
!
! Some other stuff I can't be bothered to think of here
!
deny src=192.41.177.0/24

 As, in general, you shouldn't see many types of traffic into you
with a source address of a NAP router. I know it's possible that
people might want to telnet to one of your SMTP ports from their
Mae-East router but it ain't very likely ;)

[ I'm assuming that the problem is you can't say "deny proto=0x2f" or
similar ? ]

 NJM> Neil.

Cheers,

Lyndon