NANOG mailing list charter

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Tue Nov 18 18:47:10 1997

I stand corrected. And I apologize to the list.

This morning I posted a 'heads-up' about an AOL problem. My rationale
for doing so was that the information was important to my operations
group, because AOL represents 10 million end users who spend a portion
of their online life connecting to websites that we host. And our
customers measure our performance based on the number of hits per
minute/hour/day that they are getting. When this rate changes
uncharacteristically, the web customer immediately assumes that it is
our network that is failing, and calls our operations group to complain,
or inquire. Knowing that AOL is experiencing a problem (which would not
show up in any of our peer monitors) helps our ops guys to avoid a wild
goose chase.

I assumed this was the case for most ISPs.

I received a number of (thankfully) private flames, asking me why I
thought anyone on the list cared. Obviously I thought many of you would.
I was wrong. So I went to look at the NANOG charter (based on the crud
that shows up on NANOG, one could be forgiven for being confused). I
thought that the charter covered operational issues. It doesn't.

Specifically, from the NANOG web site:

"The NANOG mailing list is established to provide a forum for the
exchange of technical information and the discussion of specific
implementation issues that require cooperation among network service
providers. <snip>."

It covers implementation and co-operation issues.

Sorry to create improper noise.

Is anyone aware of a good newsgroup that does cover mundane issues like
fiber cuts, DNS and root server failures, NAP problems, Route leaks,
backbone poisoning, etc? Or is NANOG a good place for this, depending on
who is doing the posting? In which case, where should the clueless
unwashed like me go?

Thanks...

Rodney Joffe
Chief Technology Officer