Re: evaluation of the IWG on DNS

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Tue Nov 18 08:22:31 1997

At 11:50 PM 11/17/97 -0500, Gordon Cook wrote:

I sent the following to Gordon but on second thought, I'll share it with all:

If the ITU tried ever to "control/govern" the Internet, it would be the end
of the ITU.  Intel tried t cover up its chip bugs and the Internet
demolished them.  Gates and his billions tried to ignore the Internet and
then had to run scared to catch up and become part of the process.
Governance includes matters like pornography, cryptography, trademarks, etc.
Where do you see the ITU taking a domination role in any of those?  The
single role the ITU plays and will play is as a depository for the gTLD MoU.
At *no* time will the ITU make policy.  At *no* time will the ITU make
policy.  Am I being heard?

The day they attempt to do that, ISOC, IANA, IETF, IAB, etc. will break all
ties with the ITU and the ITU will sink in its own X.recment.

Hank Nussbacher
former IAHC and iPOC member