Re: AGIS Signing up New Spammers

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon Nov 17 13:58:24 1997

On Mon, Nov 17, 1997 at 01:18:21PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In article <[email protected]> you write:
> >Best guess at ths time, without having had a full review done, is that
> >filtering spam at the source *might* fall into the same category. However,
> >since in theory mail is *personal* in nature ratehr than broadcast, it might
> >be deemed to fall into the same category as blocking all carrier route sorted
> >bulk mail in the real world. However, note that you *can't* get USPS to do
> >that, either.
>
> 	The follow your argument wouldn't there be a difference
> between blocking e-mail from a site (eg, the RBL, or your own
> sendmail.cf rules) and blackholing an entire site at the IP
> level?  In one case you are acting as an editor claiming that
> only mail is offensive, in the other you are acting as a
> service provider preventing damage to your network?
>
> 	It would seem to me that if you argue that the site
> causes "network problems" and simly toss all of their packets
> regardless of content you are safer.  It is also nastier to
> the spammer/their provider (eg one or two bad apples
> render all of AGIS's network unreachable to a great many),
> which in theory should get better responce to fix the
> problem.
>
> 	To site an example, no one questions a providers
> ability to filter a site when it is Smurf'ing them, why not
> when spamming them?
>
> --
> Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
> Network Engineer - Dimension Enterprises
> 1-703-709-7500, fax, 1-703-709-7699

Filtering at the SMTP level does exactly that.  It prevents the damage
done by the spam.

Its also carefully crafted to do ONLY that, where a general packet filter is
not.  A general packet filter is appropriate in the case of a smurf attack.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal