Re: GTE to acquire Genuity

  • From: Amanul Haque
  • Date: Fri Nov 14 02:21:24 1997

Folks,

Personally, Id like to see a more reasonable discussion. With all the
colourful jargons, would you guys mind taking this offline?

Thanks!

-- Amanul

Gordon Cook said:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Jerry Scharf wrote:
>
> > Gordon,
> >
> > you have the way of spinning the longest line of crappy conjectures into a
> > proposal of irresponsibility.
>
> false:   you should read what i wrote more carefully before you fly
> publicly off t he handle.
>

> I'm sure you could spin an equally long chain of
> > things into a reason why no one from the IAB or IETF ADs should have anything
> > at stake with the industry they help direct.
>

> So IANA has no special powers?
>

> For this particular case, there
> > are facts to prove your conjecture flawed.
> >
>  wrong because you misread my conjecture.
>

> > I was consulting at Genuity when then needed to do their initial IP address
> > gathering for their new network. They sent in a proposal to Kim, and Kim told
> > them no. Rodney was very upset at the time, but there was never any
> > interference by the IANA. When Genuity provided better documentation and
> > cleaned up some things, then they got address blocks like anyone else.
> >

> May I quote what you over looked:  Now I am confident that he has not used
> his position to give special benefit to  genuity.
>
> and later in the same post:  Rodney Joffe explained to me in very glowing
> terms this summer why jon
> was on the 'board"  his explanation sounded fine.
>
> Further explanation - Rodney Joffe told me precisely the same story which
> i published verbatim.....and more besides.....  jon came out pure as the
> driven snow
>

> > At least judge Jon by his actions, not by your inferred doubt. The evidence is
> > that when put in the exact situation you feared, the IANA acted by not acting.
> > Genuity was not harmed financially by this (I think even Rodney will now admit
> > that) so there is no damage to be fretted about. Certainly there will be a
> > tidy profit to Bechtel and the other founders of Genuity.
> >

> I never suggested genuity was harmed.   I do state that one of the
> senior members of the community who knows the laws of the fiduciary legal
> responsibility of members of boards of directors far better than I
> pointed out that he believed it possible that a genuity stock holder
> who was aware of jons proper from the internet point of view, could have
> taken legal action against jon for NOT making a decision that benefitted
> genuity and using his powers to act for the fiduciary benefit of the
> company of which he was a director and for which he had such a legal
> responsibility.
>
> now I am a r ussian history Phd....read trained as an academic....as is
> jon.....and most academics aren't terribly aware of these nuances.....so I
> can understand jon's accepting the directorship.
>
> guess my bitch is why would the presumably legally savvy business staff
> of genuity/bechtel have put jon however unwittingly into such a position?.
>
> I have been told be those who are also my seniors, that Jon is and "icon"
> and when one critcizes him one can expect all hell to break loose....looks
> [...]

Cheers . . .

      ___           ___
    /::\  \        \:\  \       Amanul Haque, Senior Consultant
   /:/\:\  \        \:\  \      Collective Technologies / PSA
  /:/  \:\  \       /::\  \     9050 Capital of Tx Hwy N., Austin, TX
 /:/__/ \/\  \     /:/\:\__\    Email: [email protected]
 \:\  \  \/__/    /:/  \/__/    Pager: (800) SKY-PAGE, pin# 571-8494
  \:\  \         /:/  /         Web:   http://www.colltech.com
    \:\__\
     \/__/