Re: Well done Sprint!

  • From: Network Operations Center
  • Date: Thu Nov 13 20:27:08 1997

	Hello alex,

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Ex-Support Wench wrote:

> What do y'all think of pathchar *as it is now*?  How reliable is it for
> determining actual _available bandwidth_?  I thought according to VJ,
> CAIDA, Cisco and even the NSF it was "way-alpha"?

	From the testing I've done the results are a reasonable
	approx. of the -available- bandwitdh.  I have also seen
	some very outragious output out of the utility (solaris).
	The linux version isn't able to figure out the MTU so
	you have to specify it on the command line, when traversing
	a slower link the out put from the far side can be -very-
	un-reliable.

			Hth,	JimL