Re: Inbound prefix filters

  • From: Bradley Reynolds
  • Date: Wed Nov 12 02:20:13 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, John A. Tamplin wrote:

> Actually, I view it the other way.  If someone is announcing routes for one
> of our prefixes, connectivity is at least partially broken for that prefix,

I think the whole point of filtering is that you will not
send packets to that newly announced route.  You can access-list
it and if you suddenly see matching on some deny, then you
can investigate at somewhere like nitrous and figure out who
is announcing what.   In general, I would not be willing to sacrifice
the performance of the people who are paying me m0ney just to be able to
quickly? ascertain who is causing the problem.

> BTW, this has happened to us twice, and both times the offender was a
> direct competitor in one of our local markets.  Does anybody have any
> feel for how often these "accidents" are not accidents?

Time to slap the kiddies for playing with daddy's router.

brad reynolds
[email protected]
"Faith:  not wanting to know what is true."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche