Re: MCI Accepts Worldcom's Bid?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Mon Nov 10 15:10:28 1997

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> Frankly, this could be a *good* thing for the industry.  Among other things
> large organizations have a habit and history of being unable to perceive
> and act on market-based changes quickly enough to capitalize on them.
>
> They tend to act like 900lb Gorillas instead, which is great if you're into
> slow, plodding things, and not so good if you aren't fast enough to get
> stepped on.  But eventually, stepping on people draws the fire of people
> on the DOJ side of the fence.

I agree, I think this is a good thing for many NSPs. It is going to be a
HUGE job to combine UUNET, ANS, and Internet MCI. They have huge hardware
differences. ANS with the new BAY BCN hardware that they spent a large
time developing, MCI with their large Stratacom network, and UUNet with
their new Fore network. They all connect customers in a different way, it
will take some time to bring all of that together. There will be major
outages and problems associated with this merger. It will be a big change
for other backbone providers to come in a take some of their customers
base. It also will be easier to watch 1 big gorilla then 3 smaller ones.

-Nathan