Re: Geographic v. topological address allocation [Was: Re: IPv8 < IPv6]

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Thu Nov 06 17:09:11 1997

  I have left off a clause that makes my point of view inconsistent.

  My comments regarding geographic correlation were with regards to a
  specific [example of a] provider's network allocation.

  On a provider by provider basis, topology does, and will
  increasingly, match geography.

  Networks that span large geographic areas should be deaggregated
  into regional ares such that aggregation can be efficiently
  implemented.

  Additionally, within this provider, they should allocate their
  chunk of the address space in a geographic manner.

  So you have correlation at the high level (providers in an area)
  and at a low level (particular provider's IP addressing in a
  small area).  I did not mean to [though I certainly did] imply
  that 2 separate providers would have a strong correlation of IP
  address allocation in a locallized geographic region.

  Let's take these examples:

  	KINDISP has a network in 4 continents.  They obtain 4
	separate sets of network space from the corresponding NICs.
	They then develop an allocation plan [ignoring crystal
	balls, but utilizing inferences from business plans and
	historical trends] and allocate netblocks in a regional
	manner.

	DUMBISP had a network in 1 continent. They expand into 3
	more and continue to use their same original netblock.  They
	allocate addresses chronologically, instead of
	geographically.

  This continental allocation is being done today, the NSP's
  internal allocation is what I was attempting to focus on.

  -alan

Quoting Paul Ferguson ([email protected]):