Re: IPv8 < IPv6

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 23:06:07 1997

On Wed, Nov 05, 1997 at 08:45:29PM -0500, Alan Hannan wrote:
>   Yes, and when my mother didn't make me go to bed at night, I was
>   rather cranky, and tardy in my multiplication tables and spelling
>   exercises the next day.

You know, Alan... I could'a sworn I wrote something that equates to
"Yeah, Jim, but that's not what peopler _are doing_."

<looks>

Yep, that's what I wrote.

>   That we can impose strict hierarchy on address allocations (like
>   our friends at RIPE, APNIC, and InterNIC have done) is part of the
>   reason our networking system has assumed a somewhat manageable
>   growth wrt addressnig.
>
>   Big Brother impositions are fine, if the benevolent dictatorship
>   really is altruistic. (in community space allocation)

Any particular reason you're dragging in Big Bother, when what I cited
was _the market_?

>   DISCLAIMER -- THIS IS NOT TO IMPLY THAT I SUPPORT, CONDONE, OR
>                 AGREE WITH JIM FLEMING.  RATHER I HARBOR FEARS THAT
> 		HE FLIRTS WITH DANGEROUS CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES, AND
> 		PERCEIVES THE WORLD IN A MANNER UNLIKE ANY OF SANE
> 		MIND AND BODY.

And what are _you_ smoking?

> Quoting Jay R. Ashworth ([email protected]):
> > On Thu, Nov 06, 1997 at 10:16:56AM -0600, Jim Fleming wrote:
> > > There is a natural routing hierarchy with IPv8
> > > addressing....8 regions, 256 distribution centers
> > > in each region and full 32 bit Internets from there.
> > > IPv8 addresses can fit inside the IPv6 address fields.
> >
> > The problem here, as I see it, is that this _imposes_ a hierarchical
> > structure onto the physical design on the net, which has not been the
> > observed pattern of growth.

Sho nuff.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Pedantry.  It's not just a job, it's an