/19 addresses and redundancy

  • From: Steve Camas
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 20:59:01 1997

Greetings,

Here is a question -- maybe someone out there can suggest a solution to a
problem...

We are a small to mid-sized ISP and we feel that in order to compete in
todays market we need to provide multiple circuits to different backbone
providers and run BGP.  We currently have a single T1 (from Sprintlink)
which is handling our leased line, web, and dialup customers with little
trouble (running at about 20-25%).  We want to add another T1 to another
major carrier so we can offer a backup circuit in the event our T1 goes
down or if Sprint has a major outage.  Of course, this wouldn't be just
for backup -- it would share the load...

We currently have 15 class C addresses and we have been told by Sprint
that anthing smaller than a /19 BGP may get filtered.  Since we have a
whole bunch of non-contiguous class C address (which Sprint gave us), it
seems that BGP would never work.

So, we contacted the Internic and requested a /19 block so we can do this.
The Internic refuses to give someone a /19 block unless they are in need
of it right away (a few months projections).  We don't need 32 Class Cs
because we need to assign that many but we need them because we want to be
able to use BGP.  The Internic will not give them to us and we seem to
have no options.

Are there ways around this?

Thanks,

Steve