Re: MAE-East update

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 04:22:16 1997

> Does anyone know if DEC manufactures the gigaswitch itself, or
> is it OEM'd, and from whom?

DEC manufactures it.  (I doubt if anyone, anywhere else, still has an ECL fab
that can make what a GIGAswitch has inside it.)

Y'know, for a long while we've been happy with FDDI for interconnects since
it was the fastest non-ATM LANish thing available and it had a decent sized
MTU.  But FDDI is in end-of-life and I sure am glad that DEC announced plans
to build gigabit ethernet switches.  <clink> here's to 10 more years of non-
junk interconnect hardware.