Re: Hello, MAE-East?!

  • From: Mike Gibbs
  • Date: Mon Nov 03 15:48:21 1997

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> MAE-East, from what I can tell, has bounced two times in the past hour.

Yep.

> nitrous.digex.net confirms my beliefs.
>
> <rant>
>
> What is being done to repair this? It is one of the few things that can
> actually affect a LOT OF PEOPLE at the same time.

They are using equipment that can't handle what Mae-East needs to push.

> And, to worsen the effect, MFS seems unwilling/unable to fess up and
> *really* say what is going on.

According to the techs at MFS, the NEW design is five gigaswitches
plugging into one gigaswitch.  No one will be plugged into this switch,
that is giga6.  The problem accuring at Mae-East now sits on its hardware.
With this design, giga6 must switch more traffic then its backplane can
handle.  This causes packet-loss, and annoyed customers.  DECs switches
seem to have a limited spanning-tree, so they can't have two gigaswitchs
for bridges and split the load between them.  Again, this is what I got
from talking to their techs.  Supposedly DEC and MFS are working these
problems out.

> </rant>

Mike Gibbs
Director of Engineering