Re: moving to IPv6

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Nov 02 16:51:45 1997

[ CC'd direct, because I don't know if you subscribed or not. ]

On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 04:33:47PM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth writes...
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 11:59:17AM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
> > >
> > > That's why everyone is abandoning traditionals ISPs and going with proxy
> > > providers like AOL.
> >
> > Um, "Huh, Phil?"
> >
> > Following the Boardwatch ISP directory, for just one source, seems to
> > indicate otherwise.
> >
> > This is a fairly sweeping observation... on what sources do you base
> > it?
>
> Oops.  Forgot the smiley.

Oh.  Yup.  Got it.

> My point being that large numbers of people really do want out of the
> Internet that which end-to-end addressing can give them, even if they
> are clueless about how things work to get what they want.

Yup.  Everyone thinks they can tinker with fundamental aspects of the
architecture of the net without breaking the ineffable qualities that
made it get so popular in the first place.

Unfortunately, no one can be exactly certain which combination of
things it _is_ that's done this...

> Test market a dialup service at a reduced rate that gives people a
> private space address behind a proxy server.  See how many people
> sign up.  IMHO, it won't be all that many.

I concur.

This will be my last reply on the topic CC'd to NANOG; interested parties,
trundle on over to the NODlist.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Pedantry.  It's not just a job, it's an