Re: SPAM, IEMMC, and Caller ID

  • From: Bill Becker
  • Date: Sat Nov 01 13:09:08 1997

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Phil Lawlor wrote:

> >Mr Lawlor's insistence on a technical solution to a people-problem is typical
> >of the same old sidestepping he's been doing for months.
>
> I've never sidestepped the issue.  AGIS does not like spam.  It never did
> and it never will.  We are seeking to solve the problem.  The technical
> problem *is* that spamming is done all too easily.  I am afraid that

You are correct, but from the outside, it looks as if agis has offered
itself as a safe haven for spammers.  Spammer's IPs are not SWIPed,
traceroute doesn't work to them, and a long history of spamming is
apparantly no obstacle to getting an agis circuit.

> Congress could pass more unenforcable legislation, which would waste US
> taxpayers money.  As long as people can make money off of spam, they will.
> If you can't clean up the spammer, than you have to start putting other
> measures in place.

In my opinion, that's 100% correct.  But these other measures needn't be
limited to measures you and agis are comfortable with.  If you habitually
provide connectivity to spammers, you are part of the problem.

As a practical matter, you are going to get hammered by (at least)
unpleasant email from people who are frustrated with the way spammers step
on them. You facilitate that.  Unfortunately if you lay down with
pigs you get muddy.  An occupational hazard.

> >does that do for stopping spam?
>
> Then you can refuse it.  You can take responsibility for yourself.  You no

One can't refuse spam without using bandwidth.  Is someone going to
send me a check for the tens of thousands of spam emails my mail server
rejected?  I'll hold my breath.

> longer need to send out all those complaints, burdening the system even
> greater.  You have made my point for me.  Thank you.

I think the more significant point was made when agis evicted cyberpromo.
It did far more to reduce 'burdening the system' when it stopped all that
CP spam traffic and the traffic associated with complaints about CP.

> talking about.  I am mainly concerned with forgery and hijacking.

How concerned are you?  Are you concerned enough to disconnect people
which use agis for webfarms, while doing their forging and hijacking from
throw-away ppp accounts outside of agis?

Too bad you aren't mainly concerned with delousing your network.

Bill