Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Bill Unsworth
  • Date: Fri Oct 31 10:56:26 1997

At 23:16 30/10/97 -0000, you wrote:
>>> And what will the FBI do when spammers leave the US...
>
>This is really a red herring -- any spam control law, even one of the
>bad ones like the Murkowski bill applies to any resident of the U.S.,
>even if he hires someone in Moldova to send out his spam.  To escape
>U.S. law the spammer has to move his entire business offshore.  In
>practice we're unlike to see much offshore spam because the goal of
>spammers is to collect money from suckers, and it's a whole lot harder
>to do so if you don't have a domestic mailing address and bank
>account.
>
>Also, as others have pointed out, there aren't a lot of other
>countries with low cost unmetered Internet connections and, other than
>Canada, even those are connected to the U.S. by long, thin, expensive
>undersea cables whose proprietors aren't likely to enjoy having them
>filled with spam and angry responses.

You mean like now when spam sent to .com's outside the USA
ends up hitting us! Yep it would be great if the USA isps
did something about Spam cos it sure dont come from anywhere
else in any quantity.  :-))

http://iecc.com/johnl,
>Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36
A3 47

U-NET Limited - Global Transit Division
mailto:[email protected] http://world.u-net.net
Tel 44 1925 484444 Fax 44 1925 484466