Problems with specific routing policies for each exchange point

  • From: Mark Tripod
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 21:06:30 1997

I ran in to a little problem yesterday with my peering sessions wih the
various route servers around the country. The problem was that I was not
receiving routes from particular ASNs anymore. With a little help from Jake
at Merit we were able to pinpoint the problem in my rs-in configuration. It
seems that I was importing two different AS macros that each referenced the
other (AS-GENUITY and AS-NAPNET). This created a loop in the macro parser
on the route server which in turn nullified my routing policy.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this little phenomenon.

Mark Tripod
Senior Backbone Engineer
Exodus Communications