Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 19:30:44 1997

At 08:36 AM 10/30/97 -0800, Turnando Fuad wrote:

>> [snip]
>> > compared to (my experience of) the problem. We get spam, so do our
customers,
>> > but it's a couple of messages, each of ~500 bytes. Even on modems
connections
>> [snip]
>>
>> Because you happen to not be getting very much is no reason to believe
>> that everyone is so lucky.  Anyone who has been around for any length of
>> time, posts or has posted to newsgroups, is the contact for any number
>> of domains/ASNs/netblocks, or even hosts any number of domains gets
>> bucketfuls.
>>
>> Often times, they work from old archives of Usenet as well. I've received
>> garbage forwarded from old addresses I haven't used since '92 or '93.
>>
>> It is unrealistic to believe that one's expereince is sufficeintly
>> representative to be able to generalize and define the scope of the
>> whole problem.
>>

>I think another question to ask is how much are we willing to spend to
>fight spam. Justin Newton(in the NANOG meeting) mentioned $400 million as
>what *all* ISPs spent to deal spam.

Actually, Vinny Bono came up with that number, not me.

Justin W. Newton                        voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Network Architect                  fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C   http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."