Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Cal Thixton - President - ThoughtPort Authority of Chicago
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 15:01:27 1997

> And what will the FBI do when spammers leave the US...

In these cases, we normally turn them into international trade issues.

If we all freely admit that this problem is beyond a technical solution,
what are our alternatives? Even in the best of cases, sometimes we have no
choices. In Agis's case, they recently took action and disconnected a known
spammer site; they were taken to court and ordered to restore service. I
am not sure how well my own Use Policy would hold up were we ever to be
dragged into court.

As the wild west days of the Internet wane and our Clint Eastwood heros,
(e.g. the Honorable Paul Vixie) find themselves marginalized by savvy
customers with court orders, we will find that migrating from gun slinging
to organized law enforcement far cheaper and more effective in the long run.

I am just as willing as the next 'responsible provider' to be responsible.
However, if I cannot also have the authority that comes with it or at least can
turn to someone who does, then we will end up in a free-for-all situation which,
come to think of it, is what is happening now. No One on the Internet
has the authority to turn Anyone off no matter what they do, nearly.

Check my spamming report from last night, I see my top abuser yesterday was
an MCI customer (see trace). Though I have sent lots of complaints to MCI,
never have I ever gotten a human reply with followup. In fact, in my personal
experience, I have never had any of the big backbone providers do much other
than send me an automated reply, except for one; Agis. Perhaps it is because
I am a customer that they listen to me whine, but it does seem than in all of the
public discussions thus far, I have only seen one provider even willing to
engage in a conversation on spamming. And yet who is the preferred whipping
boy, since uunet, bellsouth, mci, et. al. are all bright enough to know when
to duck an issue? hmmm.

Cal

Esse, my neighbor, asked, "are you letting people come and
pick from your garden, honey?"
"No, why do you ask?"
"Well, the man on the top floor sent over his step daughter
to pick some things and I was just thought you should know."
Sure enough, my first crop of peaches were gone along with some
other things. I installed a broken video camera on my house over looking the
garden. I have not lost anything since.

wickerpark 212) t netsgo.com
traceroute to netsgo.com (210.115.123.108), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 CHI-Cisco01.ThoughtPort.COM (199.171.236.1) 40 ms 10 ms 10 ms
2 CHI-DET-Cisco01.BB.ThoughtPort.COM (199.171.248.2) 30 ms 10 ms 10 ms
3 a0.1008.chicago4.agis.net (205.137.60.238) 30 ms 20 ms 20 ms
4 a0-0.1.chicago2.agis.net (205.254.173.250) 30 ms 20 ms 30 ms
5 aads.mci.net (198.32.130.12) 70 ms 4 ms 60 ms
6 aads.mci.net (198.32.130.12) 70 ms * 130 ms
7 * core1.Bloomington.mci.net (204.70.4.161) 190 ms 130 ms
8 core2-hssi-2.Sacramento.mci.net (204.70.1.138) 300 ms * 620 ms
9 border7-fddi-0.Sacramento.mci.net (204.70.164.51) 120 ms 110 ms 120 ms
10 yukong-ltd.Sacramento.mci.net (204.70.122.86) 250 ms 260 ms 280 ms
11 abs.netsgo.com (210.115.123.108) 260 ms 260 ms 270 ms

Begin forwarded message: