Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Matt Ryan
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 05:20:59 1997

> Actually, Karl would be the first to point out that often spammers don't pay
> .. they hook up for their free trial period and get the boot a few days
> later.

Then companies need to look at wether free trial accounts should be able to
send email. I think most trial are more useful to test connectivity, try the
chat rooms etc. How many need email?

> The whole point of spam being wrong is that since it is a cooperative
> process, it costs the recipient to receive it. (Contrast this to bulk postal
> mail, which only costs the sender anything.)

I would guess that the thousands (millions) of tonnes of junk mail cost us
nothing to put into landfill sites, or incinerate...

Matt.

--
Matt Ryan - Network Engineer                    [email protected]
Planet OnLine Ltd, The White House,             Tel: +44 113 2345566