Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Martin Cox
  • Date: Tue Oct 28 16:44:39 1997

As a customer with separate ISP connections for business and personal use, I would
pay, as a feature, for SPAM blocking that was managed by my ISP. I believe ALL your
major business customers would pay to have SPAM blocked from delivery to their
employees.

Being upfront with your customers will most likely be very beneficial, as well as
mildly profitable.

Cheers,

Marty

Rik Schneider wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I am a little confused here.  First you state that I am wrong for stating
> that IAP's informing users of any blocking is an ethical issue.
>
> Then you state that lying about any blocking is an ethics issue.
>
> IMHO not informing customers (paying or otherwise) of these blocks is as
> bad as lying about them.
>
> Rik Schneider
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Net Asset LLC
> 1315 Van Ness Ave
> Suite 103
> Fresno CA 93721
>
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > > How about "ethical issue"
> >
> > Not at all, Rik.  The only time it becomes an ethical issue is if you
> > _lie_ to your paying customers about what you are doing.  As long as
> > you tell the customers what you're doing, then they have the option to
> > vote with their wallets.  There are better than 4000 IAPs in this
> > country; no one has any excuse for limiting how those people can
> > operate their business on this particular point on the grounds of 'free
> > speech'.
> >
> > The first amendment only limits the _government_, anyway; this has been
> > the topic of much case law.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- jra
> > --
> > Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
> > Member of the Technical Staff             Unsolicited Commercial Emailers Sued
> > The Suncoast Freenet      "Pedantry.  It's not just a job, it's an
> > Tampa Bay, Florida          adventure."  -- someone on AFU      +1 813 790 7592

YAGO Systems, Inc.           http://www.yagosys.com
Martin Cox                   mailto:[email protected]
Director, Product Management
795 Vaqueros Ave.            Phone: 408-774-2900 x244
Sunnyvale, CA 94086          Fax:   408-774-2908