Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Tue Oct 28 13:58:11 1997

On October 28, 1997 at 09:41 [email protected] (David Mercer) wrote:
 > Yes, right now the techniques Paul has used are for blocking his notion of
 > Spam, a certifiable Bad Thing(tm).  What is to prevent, say, China from
 > requiring all ISP operators to take an "Anti-Party" Black-Hole Feed,
 > blocking IP blocks where "dangerous" ideas are found on some hosting
 > operators Web Servers?  There is already at least one ISP in the US that

People would simply have to protest effectively (eg, via their
free-market options) OR THEY'RE SCREWED. Nothing can protect them,
they can do this anyhow.

C'mon, this slippery slope thing is nonsense (in the sense of yielding
any effective decision.) What if you go outside and the police all
decide to kill you? YOU'D BE DEAD. Oh well, better make sure that
doesn't happen I guess.

 > filters out 'un-Christian' material, using quite primitive techniques...

So? That's their right. No doubt they'll find customers for that. And
if not, then they're bankrupt. Oh well. So long as they're not
defrauding anyone then that's their business.

What's your point? I don't get it. Sounds like you're the one trying
to control things not them, they can only control their little corner
(eg, block "un-Christian" material from THEIR site and see if there's
customers for that.)

 > I'm sure they and their fellow Brothers would welcome a black hole feed
 > for their and related networks to block such "evil" content as
 > birth control material and other Bad Things(tm).

Ok, good for them. I disagree, but so what? Should we drag the guy out
of his house at 4AM and beat him senseless for doing this?

 > This is one, I think, that once you open the door, there is no going back.

The door is wide open, always has been, always will be.