Does NANOG hate Microsoft?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Oct 21 15:52:16 1997

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 12:20:55PM -0400, Sandra Gittlen wrote:
> Jay, is Nanog suggesting a freeze-out of Microsoft traffic?

Not remotely.

The NANOG mailing list connected a community of people who are involved
in one way or another with the operations of public and private IP
networsk in North America.  The target topic on the list is operational
issues, and some members have tighter filters on this than others.

Randy Bush's are likely the tightest.

The customary snide response to a posting to the list which someone
considers to be too far off topic is "how do I configure my router for
that?"  Randy's posting was a clever, if somewhat obscure, allusion to
that.  I simply took the thought to it's logical conclusion -- but
Microsoft _isn't_ real popular with many technical people, for reasons
which aren't that difficult to research.

MORAL:

Journalists: always check with someone before sourcing anything from
this mailing list.

Members: always remember, the press is listening.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology