Re: Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

  • From: Dalvenjah FoxFire
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 23:00:43 1997

David Lesher put this into my mailbox:

> > > I would not be surprised if the caller's phone number were logged, most
> > > modern modem banks talk ANIS and DNIS, which if I'm remembering correctly
> > > is basically caller ID.
> > > doesn't seem to be an extra charge to get the data from the telco.
> >
> > ANI.  Actually, it's commonly CNID, which is slightly more useful.
>
> Just want to make sure all parties here do not think ANI == CNID.
> They are different critters. You get CNID usually. Real time
> ANI is available on 800 trunks, but at a cost.

I realize this is probably something one learns in Telco 101, which I
haven't taken, but if CNID == Caller ID, wouldn't ANI be *more* useful?

Or does CNID report the number regardless of Caller-ID blocking on PRI
lines/etc?

(I'm assuming that CNID == standard Caller-ID as it appears on POTS, and
that ANI == the special service that 800-lines get that *always* reports
the number, regardless of blocking..if I'm wrong, I'll accept the LART.)

-dalvenjah

--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  College is a fountain of knowledge...
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       and the students are there to drink.

 e-mail: [email protected]             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/