Re: Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

  • From: John A. Tamplin
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 18:56:58 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> MBID is reported when the MAX/TNT does NOT receive the caller-number, so I
> would
> question if BellSouth can disable Caller-ID....also you could do a PRI
> D-channel
> trace on the MAX of the incoming call to verify the contents - i.e. see if the
> caller-ID info element is included.

We initially didn't specify anything about getting ANI/DNIS information, and
we got it on our BellSouth PRIs.  At some point later, we ordered more and
they asked us if we wanted that information and we said yes.  On the next
bill, we were getting charged an outrageous amount for this service, and we
called and asked why we weren't being billed for it on other lines, and they
said that we didn't have that service on the other lines.  So, we told them
to turn off that service on the new lines.  It was removed from our bill,
but we still got the information in the call setup messages.  Thus, I assumed
from this that BellSouth did not have the ability to enable/disable that
information on PRIs (I assume that the switches, which have been 5ESS or
DMS, have that ability but BellSouth either chooses not to or does not know
how to disable it).  The similar situation is present on ISDN BRIs -- they
will happily charge you extra for CallerID, but if you tell them you don't
want it you still get it.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
[email protected]				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801