Re: Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

  • From: John A. Tamplin
  • Date: Tue Oct 07 12:56:41 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Eric Wieling wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 01:03:14AM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> > I would not be surprised if the caller's phone number were logged, most
> > modern modem banks talk ANIS and DNIS, which if I'm remembering correctly
> > is basically caller ID.  I'm thinking of putting this on our POP, as there
> > doesn't seem to be an extra charge to get the data from the telco.
>
> Unless you are using CallerID authentication, the Ascend MAXes do not
> log the caller's number.  I assume that the TNT's have the same
> problem.

This is incorrect -- all our dialin routers are MAX 4000s and TNTs.  We do
not authenticate based on calling number, but both the called and calling
number are logged through the Radius accounting server.  If you have ISDN
PRI, at least with BellSouth, you get the ANI/DNIS information for free (they
can't turn it off), but they will charge you for it if you specifically ask
for it.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
[email protected]				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801