Re: Packets from net 10 (no, not the lyrics)

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 09:37:48 1997

On Tue, Sep 23, 1997 at 08:50:09AM -0400, Dennis Simpson wrote:

> Actually, quantumcomm.com is a more interesting traceroute.
> Especially hops 11 and 12, clearly being passed by Sprintlink.  Does
> anyone besides me see it as an issue that Sprintlink would pass
> those packets? No, the network 10 isn't in my routing tables.
>
> Should I be filtering all reserved space at my border, or would it
> be reasonable for me to expect the big guys not to take packets with
> clearly inappropriate source addresses?

You don't need to see the prefix for 10/8 to be able to pass packets
through hosts in said prefix.  Some consider it poor form to use
RFC1918 space for hosts that are visible to the outside world.  As
long as you don't _announce_ said space to the rest of the world it
really only breaks MTU path discovery and maked debugging a little
more difficult.

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson - [email protected]    | Erols Internet Services, INC.        |