Re: Traffic Engineering

  • From: Andrew Smith
  • Date: Fri Sep 19 18:50:55 1997

> At 12:44 PM 9/17/97 -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> >Kent W. England wrote:
> >
> >> At
> >> that point a pizza parlor owner says to himself "two out of every five of
> >> my customers are on the Internet. Perhaps I need a web page." And,
> >> suddenly, pizza on the Net makes a lot of sense and the traffic patterns
> >> shift. As the density grows to 90%, local traffic becomes dominant over
> >> distant traffic.
> >
> >Georgaphically local, not topologically.
> >
> >A *big* difference.
> >
> >Unless we're willing to go back to regulated monopolies geographical
> >locality makes little difference in overall traffic patterns.
> >
> >--vadim
>
> Not true, it is when geographical locality of traffic becomes significant
> (lets say 10 percent of the traffic originating in a city is destined for
> the same city, or even 5 percent, or maybe even 2 percent), that it makes
> sense to make a very very strong push into many more local exchanges.  I
> see this eventuality as inevitable, and as such believe that encouraging
> local exchanges to be of prime importance to our ability to route traffic
> for our customers both inexpensively and quickly.
>
> Justin W. Newton

I agree that geographical locality of traffic is important, but a
majority of the local traffic won't be going through these exchanges
until the big backbones compromise on their peering policies, and
exchange "local pop" sets of routes in peering sessions. I think we
can prevent people from pointing their default routes to these interfaces
by enthusiastic application of spiked LARTs.

Andrew W. Smith ** [email protected] ** Network Engineer ** 1-888-NEOSOFT
       ** "Opportunities multiply as they are seized" - Sun Tzu **
            ** http://www.neosoft.com/neosoft/staff/andrew **