Re: Traffic Engineering

  • From: Justin W. Newton
  • Date: Fri Sep 19 17:19:19 1997

At 12:44 PM 9/17/97 -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
>Kent W. England wrote:
>
>> At
>> that point a pizza parlor owner says to himself "two out of every five of
>> my customers are on the Internet. Perhaps I need a web page." And,
>> suddenly, pizza on the Net makes a lot of sense and the traffic patterns
>> shift. As the density grows to 90%, local traffic becomes dominant over
>> distant traffic.
>
>Georgaphically local, not topologically.
>
>A *big* difference.
>
>Unless we're willing to go back to regulated monopolies geographical
>locality makes little difference in overall traffic patterns.
>
>--vadim

Not true, it is when geographical locality of traffic becomes significant
(lets say 10 percent of the traffic originating in a city is destined for
the same city, or even 5 percent, or maybe even 2 percent), that it makes
sense to make a very very strong push into many more local exchanges.  I
see this eventuality as inevitable, and as such believe that encouraging
local exchanges to be of prime importance to our ability to route traffic
for our customers both inexpensively and quickly.

Justin W. Newton                        voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Network Architect                  fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C   http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."