Re: Traffic Engineering (fwd)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 15:10:54 1997

>> map-exchanging scheme), three huge churny databases
>> (the mapping of information to URL, the mapping of
>> hostname to IP address and the mapping of IP addresses to
>> paths)

>Just for the record, I *was* kidding.  I don't actually think I have the time
>or expertise to make it work.  However, I think the idea is worth looking at.
>Two of the "three huge churny databases" (info to URL, url to IP) already are
>in place, and I bet the overhead involved in an un-cached IP lookup is a lot
>more than that of an SPF walk through a BGP tree.

Some people already have a database of IP address to path that is used to
more effectively route traffic from caching proxy hierarchies over multiple
international connections.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."