Re: Traffic Engineering (fwd)

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 12:24:12 1997

I believe IBM did something similar during the 96 Olympics.  My foggy
memory serves me as

You hit the front door page.

Each mirror did a performance measurement  to you (traceroute, ping time, etc)

By the time you were 2 - 3 pages into the site, you were redirected to the
"best" mirror, based on the above.

Kind of cool, especially if IBM thought of it :)

Eric

At 10:16 AM 9/18/97 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>> See, the really neat thing about the 'net is it *removes* the geographical
>> locality as a barrier.
>>
>> People have interests, very specific interests.  The number of people
>> interested in following alt.barney.die.die.die are geographically
>> dispersed, but the Internet brings them together in a virtual community.
>>
>> Search engines, as primitive as they are now, make it much easier to find
>> whatever specific item you're looking for, and odds are overwhelming that
>> it's not on your neighbors server.
>
>So perhaps what we need is a way for search engines to determine what's
>"close" - geographically, politically, or speed-wise.  This isn't
particularly
>easy to do, but if it was implemented and only worked, say, 15% of the time,
>it'd still make things look that much faster.
>

>Idea: what about a search engine that understands a BGP table?  I'm thinking
>that something like Hotbot, which returns search results with several places
>to find the same page, goes through a process like this:
>

>1)	perform the query.
>2)	if your query returns multiple places to get the same page
>		a) look at the AS_PATH for the querying IP address
>		b) look at the AS_PATHs for the found pages
>		c) Determine and return the "closest" one - perhaps the one
>		    whose AS_PATH is most like that of the querying host.
>
>This is a bit rough (off the top of my head, first thing in the morning), but
>you could do a bunch with it.  Search engines, for example, that optimize for
>search speed vs. retrieval speed, come to mind.
>
>Anybody out there have any spare venture capital? :)
>

>eric
>

>> --- David Miller

====
Eric Germann				Computer and Communications Technologies
[email protected]			Van Wert, OH 45891
					Phone:	419 968 2640
http://www.cctec.com			Fax:	419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider